Goudhurst, Kent. A Wealden hill village

Highways and Footpaths Committee August

GOUDHURST PARISH COUNCIL
Local Government for Goudhurst, Kilndown and Curtisden Green

Parish Council Logo

HIGHWAYS & FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE

Minutes of a Meeting held on 28 August 2018 at the Jessel Room, Goudhurst

Present: Cllrs David Boniface (Chairman), Alan Foster, Mrs Angela Broom, Mrs Susan Newsam and Guy Sutton.    Cllr Antony Harris for the item on the Neighbourhood Development Plan only.

Mr Peter Wood (Adviser on Neighbourhood Development Plan matters).

Apologies were accepted from: Cllrs Chris Ditton

Declarations of Interest.  None.

Footpaths – PROW

Action has been taken on required maintenance for WC40 and WC50 at Riseden, as well as WC43 north and west of Smugley. 

WC20 by Wagtail Farm has been reported to KCC as the property owner has not cut back as requested.  Maintenance tasks required on WC57. 57A, 58 and 60 in the A21 area have been passed to KCC as they are beyond Parish Council capabilities.   

Footways

Bollard in Goudhurst High Street. The broken bollard on the north side of the High St by the Pharmacy has been replaced by Kent Highways.  

Highways and Parking

The Reclassification of the A262..  Following Council Minute 177/18. The Technical Report by Socium regarding the reclassification of the A262 to a B class road has been agreed by this Committee.  Council’s consultant Mr Paul Lulham will check the Parish Council’s accompanying letter to KCC before the Clerk submits the application.  A copy of the application and the Technical Report will be sent to County Cllr Seán Holden. 

Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) relating to HGVs:  For HGV traffic between Tunbridge Wells and Ashford it is clear that the A228 and M20 is a better route than on the A262 through Goudhurst and Sissinghurst.  The routing of more local HGV traffic is problematic;  routing via Hawkhurst is not feasible.  Chairman H&F Committee will seek advice from our consultant on this aspect. 

Goudhurst Parish Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP).  The  meeting briefly reviewed the draft sections 11 (Traffic) and 12 (Projects).  Members considered the text of the documents to be very good with only relatively minor adjustments required.  It was agreed to recommend to Council that Mr Wood will take back to the NDP Steering Committee the addition of a reference to the proposed downgrading of the A262 along the lines of “Goudhurst Parish Council is working with KCC to find new solutions to the problems caused by traffic in the High Street at Goudhurst.”

Liaison Meeting between the Highways & Footpaths Committee with Kent Highways Tunbridge Wells Area Manager.  It was agreed that the Clerk will follow up to identify suitable dates for such a meeting.

BBC Southeast News: It was noted that Cllr Mrs Susan Newsam had done very well to obtain from BBC South East News a copy of interviews relating to Goudhurst traffic issues held with County Cllr Seán Holden as well as certain Goudhurst residents.   

A21: Application to reduce the speed limit on A21:  It was noted that a meeting had been held on 22 August 2018 at Kilndown with a representative of Highways England, local residents from the affected A21 area and Goudhurst Parish Councillors.  Minutes of that meeting are attached.  Goudhurst name signs with Kent Invicta:  The Clerk has obtained from Kent Highways information on the best people to contact to get such signs made.  Goudhurst Parish Council is to take the cost of the signs but Kent Highways will install them on their budget.  The Clerk will report further. 

EV Charge Points: Cllr Mrs Newsam was able to inform the meeting that she has had considerable success in obtaining a much lower than previously for providing power to the preferred site for the charge points in Goudhurst.  The project is becoming more feasible.  

The Speed Indicator Device (SID) installation:  Following Council Minute 180/18.   The equipment was inaugurated on 06 July 2018 and is being moved from time to time between the 3 poles.  Local residents are talking positively about it.  Downloaded date is making interesting reading.  North Road signs adjacent to Goudhurst Tennis Club.  It was noted that the Clerk has received information from Kent Highways on what can and can not be done with regard to the pedestrian warning road signs.  Chairman H&F Committee has agreed with the Brandfold Tennis Clun management that they will take 50% of the cost with Goudhurst Parish Council taking 50% also.

Fire hydrant survey: Cllr Foster reported that Kent Fire & Rescue Service has virtually completed the remedial work.  There is no further action for Council to take. 

Hop Pickers’ Line: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 25 September at St Mary’s Church, Goudhurst.  10.30 am start.

Hop Pickers’ Line information panels.  One of the printed versions of the information panels relating to Goudhurst has been installed on the rear of the notice board on the Plain.   

Horsmonden Nostalgia Group.  Cllr Mrs Newsam reported that this Group will be holding a  “Nostalgia Day” on Saturday, 06 October, 2018.  The Hop Picker’s Line Heritage Group will be attending and the aim is to raise knowledge and interest in the project among residents of Horsmonden. It as agreed that Cllr Mrs Newsam will take the spare Goudhurst printed Information Panel to the event and display it on its easel in order to raise interest and inform visitors at the event. 

Public Transport:  Chairman H&F Committee had responded on behalf of the Parish Council to the KCC Rural Transport Big Consultation (13 June to 08 August) on bus services.  He proposed feeder bus services from/to Kilndown and Lamberhurst centered on a hub at Goudhurst connecting with the established bus routes to Tunbridge Wells, Cranbrook, Maidstone etc.

Mirror at the junction of Cranbrook Road/Chequers Road.  Council has received a proposal from the Area Manager Tunbridge Wells, Kent Highways, to remove the convex mirror at this junction.  See the attached e-mail of 28 August from Lisa Gillham which details their case.  H&F Committee did not reach a consensus on a recommendation to Council.

Meeting closed at 9.05 pm

Copyright © 1999-2018 Goudhurst Parish Council