HIGHWAYS AND FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE
including PUBLIC TRANSPORT
To: Cllrs David Boniface (Chairman), Mrs Angela Broom, Chris Ditton, Alan Foster, Phil Kirkby, Mrs Susan Newsam and Guy Sutton. Cllr Antony Harris (ex-officio).
I summon you to a Meeting of the Highways & Footpaths Committee to be held at The Jessel Room, Goudhurst Parish Hall on Tuesday 12 December 2017 at 7.30pm when the following business will be considered:
Members of the Public and the Press are welcome to attend this meeting. At the Chairman’s discretion members of the public may be invited to speak for a maximum of 3 minutes each relating to items on the Agenda. Please state your name and address prior to speaking. Smoking is not allowed during Council meetings. Please switch off mobile phones.
Anthony Farnfield ………………………………………………………………..
Clerk 07 December 2017
The South Oast at Smugley Farm, Bedgebury Road, Goudhurst TN17 2QU
Quorum for Highways Committee: 3 Members
1. Apologies for Absence as reported at the meeting.
2. Declarations of Interest
Members are reminded to declare any Personal or Prejudicial Interests relating to the business to be discussed in accordance with Council’s Standing Orders.
3. PROW – Footpaths
a. WC20 – hedge – a little trimming has taken place – needs cutting back to fence (buried in hedge)
b. WC3 wobbly stile etc
c. Bewl Water path winter cycling ban.
a. Need dates to meet owners of the swale along the route of the proposed Station Rd footway
b. Extending cutting of verge to west of green Cross Inn
c. Quote for boardwalk through swale.
d.Legal status of path through swale.
5. Roads and Parking
a.Ask Cllr Seán Holden to obtain copy of the Helen Grant MP report on HGV problems in
Villages (note from the Clerk: the report will come from KALC)..
b.Seek advice from Seán Holden re need of formal survey of traffic problems in Goudhurst
c.Replacement Goudhurst sign with Kent Invicta white horse at junction North Rd with
Chequers Rd. see attached example. For recommendation to Council.
d.Electronic Vehicle (EV) charging points progress. To note that Greg Clark MP has announced new government funding. Committee to consider a recommendation to Council that GPC should go it alone. Cost of the Dual model is c£3.4k. Has the grant funding issue been referred to the Head of Department at TWBC.
f.SID installation expected soon. SID can remain on same pole for up to 3 months.
g.Downgrading of A262 to a B road. Report from Cllr Sutton.
h.Speed limit reduction on Cranbrook Rd. Peter Wood new contribution of evidence.
i.Fire hydrant survey – how to get action to unblock faulty hydrants? (Cllr Foster)
6. Public Transport
a.Threatened cuts to 297, 267 268 buses.
b.Community transport options (Cllr MrsNewsam)
7. Hop Pickers Line
a.Information panels for Goudhurst
b.Presentation 21 April at Annual Goudhurst Parish Meeting
c.Next meeting 13:30 Tuesday 27 February
8. H&F budget for 2018-19 – review
See attached Footpath status Excel spreadsheet maintained by Clerk.
1. Perhaps it is time to fulfil one of Clerks ambitions which is to have a large map of Goudhurst Parish framed on the Jessel Room Wall. To discuss.
2. WC4 through (or around) Bethany School. We await an inspection report from Jonathan Bibby, KCC PROW Officer.
3. Footpath warden – Alison report – I cut back vegetation in places and “labelled” some footpaths along the following: WC 27,35,37,39 and part of 40
4. WT343 broken stile – Horsmonden and lack of way marking – how to report?
5. WC3 wobbly stile with high cross bar and no pole –problems for last Village walk.
FOOTWAYS (Along A262)
1. Date needed for meeting owners of The Swale.
2. Cutting of verge along A262 how to arrange for 2018 season?
3. Estimate of costs for Swale wooden walkway
4. Legal status of both sections of path
ROADS and PARKING
1. HGV problems – Note comment from John Wilson – Vice President and Chairman of the Transport Advisory Committee, KALC, Mob: 0796 796 7960. “The outcome of the HGV problem meeting was that Helen Grant MP, who had arranged my visit, was commissioned to take the matter forward with my assistance, to involve high level input such as the Police & Crime Commissioner, and to produce a report with recommendations for the next Kent MPs meeting in October”.
2. Severe traffic problems – Note and discuss Kent Messenger report:– “Kent Highways will recommend refusal of any more development in Hawkhurst due to the “severe” traffic problems at the traffic lights cross roads”. Can Goudhurst residents can persuade Kent Highways to do the same with any proposed developments in Goudhurst due to the severe problems of Goudhurst High Street? Note that KCC has carried out several surveys in Hawkhurst.
3. Village Gateways are a good idea as one more aid to slowing traffic, and indeed we had a budget of £5k to pay for a pair made of oak, but were not allowed to install them due to safety concerns from KCC. Perhaps next year we could re-visit the idea?.
4. Kent Highways – Parish Meeting – 9:30 Tuesday 24 October – Re: Goudhurst: Parish meeting with KCC Highways – suggest agenda items?
5. Peasley Lane – Clerk has submitted request to KCC. “Tricky with the haunches, particularly close to the Risebridge entrance, totally destroyed. If passing another vehicle, one vehicle has to tilt into the void and it is dangerous. + pair of speed limit signs warn east-bound motorists that they are leaving a de-limit area and are entering on to a 50mph (not 40mph) area”.
6. Charge Points Progress report – grants – next actions – SN
7. Installation of SID Discuss – KCC progress in installing poles – training course – appointment of contractor – job spec. – possible temporary volunteer arrangement.
8. Downgrading A262 to a B road – application – next steps? GS, DB (Michael Hardy)
9. Speed Limit reduction 60 to 50mph Cranbrook Rd Comments from Michael Hardy (KCC) DB
HOP PICKERS HERTAGE LINE
1. Publicity in recent press output
2. Funding for Goudhurst Info Panels (SN)
3. Annual Goudhurst Parish Meeting 17 April for presentations
4. Interesting painting from 1937
5. Next meeting 21 November
NEXT MEETING DATE
Tues 12 Dec