Goudhurst, Kent. A Wealden hill village

Council News November

Local Government for Goudhurst, Kilndown and Curtisden Green


at The Jessel Room, Goudhurst Parish Hall on Monday 12 November 2018 at 7.30 pm

PRESENT:  Councillors Antony Harris (Chairman), Mrs Angela Broom, Alan Foster, David Boniface, Chris Ditton, Philip Kirkby, Susan Newsam, Barry Noakes, Caroline Richards,  and Stephen Wickham.   

County Cllr Seán Holden.    32 Members of the Public.


262/18 were accepted from Cllr Guy Sutton (overseas). Also Borough Cllr Edmund Hastie.      


263/18 The Chairman reminded Members of their responsibility for any Disclosures of Interest on Agenda items for this meeting and for any changes to their Register of Interests. 


264/18 It was resolved that the Minutes of the meeting held on 08 October 2018, copies of which had been previously distributed to Members, be signed by the Chairman as a correct record.


265/18 County Cllr Seán Holden briefed Council on a number of matters including his participation in solutions to the HGV problems across Kent.  He is working with the Police & Crime Commissioner, Helen Grant MP and the Kent Association of Parish Councils (KALC).  He is also part of a KCC group that is improving the ability of bees to pollinate.  Cllr Holden is keeping a continuing eye on the school bus pass situation and had had some success.

266/18 Borough Cllr Edmund Hastie reported by e-mail that Funds from his recent charity bike ride have now been collected and Lamberhurst are hoping to install new doors at their memorial hall and a new defibrillator has just been installed in Goudhurst. He would like to take this opportunity to thank the team of people in Goudhurst who helped make the defibrillator a reality. Particular thanks must go to St James Place, Mrs Georgina Reed-Cutting and Cllr Philip Kirkby for their generous donations and support.

In terms of appropriate good causes to bike for next year, He noted that Curtisden Green is lacking a defibrillator, so he is planning to raise funds for a defib there. If there are any other alternative good causes parishioners would like me to raise funds for, please could they email him their thoughts at:  . 

It was noted, and Cllr David Boniface confirmed, that Bethany School already had a defibrillator though its location may or may not allow access.

The meeting adjourned for:


267/18   Questions from the public included:

  • What is being done about the inadequate HGV signs on the approach to Goudhurst.  Council has submitted a Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) to downgrade the A262 to a ‘B’ class road and a further TRO is being prepared to limit HGVs through Goudhurst but tis has ramifications for adjacent parishes.
  • Some residents are concerned about vehicles parking partly on the footway (pavement) on Clayhill.  Council will raise the matter with our Police Community Support Officer (PCSO).
  • There were several questions about refuse recycling; the possible removal of glass bottle banks, and the proposed charges by TWBC for brown bins.   Council awaits formal notification of the recycling arrangements and we feel sure the Town Hall will be informing the public in due course.
  • Fly Tipping.  Several of those attending expressed the view that fly tipping is on the increase.  Council recommended that those who are concerned about this should download the Country Eye app to their mobile hones which is a very easy and efficient way of reporting such incidents.

268/18 The Chairman, Cllr Antony Harris, briefed the meeting that the Parish Council faces difficult choices when they meet to plan the Council’s 2019-20 budget and precept. He explained that the transfer of assets from the Borough (toilets & car park), the completion of the lease on the Glebe Fields and it’s need for maintenance had led to limited money being available to meet other requests.  Claims on GPC funds include work previously done by volunteers at Kilndown Quarry Pond, replacing condemned equipment on the Back Lane children’s play area, additional footpaths work, defibrillators, CCTV upgrade, various highway projects, support for the Parish Hall and the possibility of  the introduction of an electric vehicle charging point. There is now a lack of an adequate Parish Reserve. There was lively discussion, especially to the level of spend likely to be required for the installation of the charging points. Council agreed to take note of comments when making its choices and setting the precept.

The meeting reconvened.


The Chairman of the Amenities Committee reported:

269/18 The Village Green (the top Glebe field) Grounds Maintenance.  The recent improvements to

the Village Green area including the new gates to improve security and the improvements to the turf were noted.

270/18 Children’s Play Area in Back Lane.  The Play Area working group consisting of Parish Councillors and some interested local residents has met to plan improvements to the equipment and to consider fund raising since the expected cost of over £20,000 to replace old equipment  is beyond  the Parish Council’s resources at present.  

271/18 The Lower Glebe Field.  Council has taken advice from the Kent High Weald project on future plans for the management of this area.  Before the Parish Council took the long lease on the land little maintenance had been carried out by the owners and thistles and ragwort are prevalent.  Council plans to introduce Owl boxes and to encourage children’s activities there.


The Chairman of the Burial Board reported:

272/18 Tree Inspection and the Yews.  Resolved to accept the quotation of £238.00 + VAT for heavy pruning to restore the shape of one Yew in the old cemetery on the south side f Back Lane as a test to demonstrate what is required.  This work is best carried out in May.  Also to accept the quotation of £425.00 + VAT for a tree safety inspection and report on trees at St Mary’s Churchyard, the cemetery on the south side of Back Lane, The Plain and Pond, Christ Church Churchyard at Kilndown and the Quarry Pond area at Kilndown.  The Clerk will take the necessary action.


The Chairman of the Highways & Footpaths Committee reported verbally.:

273/18 Speed Indicator Device (SID).  The Chairman of the Committee presented some results from SID produced data.  These were taken over a relatively short period.  Conclusions so far are that Cranbrook Road has higher speeds than North Road.  Speeds are generally two high.  Council will continue to deploy the SID to collect more data, and is considering establishing a SID pole on Chequers Road.

274/18 A21: Application to reduce the speed limit on A21:  Following the meeting on 22 August 2018 at Kilndown with a representative of Highways England, Council had followed up seeking a response in time for this meeting.  It was noted that the response was disappointing and few of the issues raised at the meeting had been properly addressed so far.  It was noted that local resident Mrs Ted Bennett had raised the issue of lowering the speed limit on the specific part of the A21 with Rt Hon Greg Clark MP at a recent MP’s surgery.  It was recommended to Council that the matter should also be raised with the Kent Police & Crime Commissioner with a request that Kent Police support a lowering of the speed limit on the relevant 2 mile stretch. It was noted that Cllr Antony Harris was booked to have a meeting with Greg Clark MP at his Kilndown Surgery on the next Friday 16 November to raise this issue.

275/18 The Reclassification of the A262.   It was noted that Council has submitted the formal application supported by the Socium Technical Report.  Kent Highways has acknowledged receipt and will respond to the Parish Council by the end of November 2018.   

276/18 Traffic Regulation Order (TRO) relating to HGVs:  It was noted that this ‘on hold’ for the time being pending the result of the Reclassification of the A262 application.

277/18 Liaison Meeting with Kent Highways Tunbridge Wells Area Manager.   This had been held earlier on 23 October with the Highways Steward for this area in attendance.  The result was a good understanding of the Highways perspective on road sign cleaning, vegetation overgrowing road signs on verges, faded white like markings, potholes and crumbling road edges, sunken manhole covers, highway drainage issues and winter gritting and snow clearance.  

278/18 Highway gritting in winter. It was noted that Kent Highways is unable to commit to gritting C106 Ranters Lane/Riseden Lane.  

279/18 Reporting Highways maintenance issues. Councillors were reminded of the advantages or reporting Highways maintenance issues through the KCC website.  Members of the public can join in as well.

280/18 The Mirror at Chequers Junction A262 with B2084.  It was agreed that Highways can remove it from that site.

281/18 Beware Pedestrians signs adjacent to Goudhurst Tennis Club on B2079 North Road.  It was noted that the Clerk is in contact with the relevant department at Kent Highways who will be carrying out a site survey in early November so as to give Council a quotation for the work.

282/18 Electronic vehicle charging points.  Cllr Mrs Susan Newsam is investigating details of the power supply at Goudhurst Parish Hall as it is thought that somewhere close by might be a suitable place to establish a charging point.

Footpaths – PROW

283/18 WC26 at Trottenden.  The failing bridge over a ditch has been repaired by Pete Watkins.

284/18 WC24 and WC25,   The Clerk will ask one of our Footpath volunteers to carry out a survey and report evident faults. 

285/18 The Millennium circular Walk between St Mary’s Goudhurst and Kilndown.  Various parts have been reported as being in need of  maintenance.  Cllr Mrs Susan Newsam has identified two Kilndown residents Mr Nayland Smith and Mr Kevin Cockram who have volunteered to assist in identifying and fixing problems.

286/18 Hop Pickers’ Line information panels.  The Clerk is in touch with the owner of Finchcocks about positioning an information panel near the junction of the Finchcocks driveway and Station Road near where the Goudhurst Railway station was situated.


287/18 Goudhurst Dynamos Juniors FC:   It was noted that some 70 young footballers, mostly local children, now practice and play matches at Chequer Field.  


288/18 CCTV in Goudhurst High Street.  It was noted that the replacement CCTV camera is working. 


Council noted the following Decisions from TWBC published in October 2018:  


17/04221 Cloud Cottage North Road Goudhurst

Demolition of detached garage to be replaced with new detached outbuilding with pitched roof and 4 No Velux windows including garage, office, guest bedroom and bathroom; Replacement of existing rear conservatory with new single storey rear extension with pitched roof and 2 No Velux windows.

Application withdrawn

18/02365 Thatchers Hall Ranters Lane Goudhurst

Erection of a rear single storey conservatory

Granted permission

18/02382 Riseden House Riseden Goudhurst

Proposed two storey rear extension (Roof alterations to approved scheme 18/01025)

Granted permission

18/02434 Brandfold Cottage North Road Goudhurst

Erection of a two storey rear extension and single storey side extension

Granted permission

18/02445 Blackberry Cottage Rogers Rough Road Kilndown

Change of use from agricultural to residential for the erection of an outdoor swimming pool

Refused permission

18/02526 Marlingate Granary Bedgebury Road Goudhurst

Erection of a single storey rear extension including glass link and store room

Refused permission

18/02527 Marlingate Granary Bedgebury Road Goudhurst

Listed Building Consent: Erection of a single storey rear extension including glass link and store room

Refused permission

18/02528 Brandfold Terrace Cottage North Road Goudhurst

Minor Material Amendment in relation to planning permission 17/01251/FULL (Replacement of existing dwelling (alternative to 14/504374)). Changes to approved drawings: re-location of front door; re-arrangement of internal living/bedroom spaces and lower ground floor storage area; alterations to fenestration; addition of external staircases; increase in height of retaining wall; minor change to position of garage/store. Provision of mitigation and enhancement survey for biodiversity and protected species (condition 9)

Granted permission

18/02541 5 Popes Row Chicks Lane Kilndown

Erection of a single bay garage

Granted permission

290/18 APPLICATIONS considered by the Parish Council Planning Committee in October 2018 with representations here approved by Council

18/02580 Old Park Wood Cranbrook Road Goudhurst

Proposed creation of earth bunds at the A262 access to Old Park Wood

Recommend approval

Subject to Highways being satisfied that, following implementation of the scheme, the access can still be safely used, Goudhurst Parish Council is content that approval is granted.

18/02715 White Hatch Balcombes Hill Goudhurst

Erection of an open porch to the front of the house and balcony to existing rear dormer

Recommend approval

Goudhurst Parish Council believes that these proposals add interest and character to the dwelling and therefore improve its appearance.

18/02727 Swan Farm Swan Lane Goudhurst

LBC:  Replace part of supporting beam and put in place a new support

Recommend approval

These proposed works would appear to be essential to the structural integrity of the dwelling.   Subject to the Conservation officer being satisfied with the detail of the proposed works, Goudhurst Parish Council is content that approval is granted.

18/02821 Cottage at Stream Farm Summerhill Goudhurst

Unrestricted residential use of an existing holiday let/annex permitted under reference 17/03285/FUL (resubmission of 18/01821/FUL) 

Recommend approval

Since the use of the access, which on a bend is not readily visible, will be safer in use by permanent residents rather than holiday makers, Goudhurst Parish Council with some reluctance recommends approval of this proposal.  

18/02880 2 Combourne Cottages Jarvis Lane Goudhurst

Erection of a rear porch (Retrospective)

Recommend approval

Goudhurst Parish Council understands that the Conservation officer has advised on the proposed works.   There seems to be some doubt as to whether the submitted drawings correctly show the alignment of the southern edge of the porch and its attachment to the cottage.

18/02881 2 Combourne Cottages Jarvis Lane Goudhurst

LBC – Erection of a rear porch (Retrospective)

Recommend approval

Goudhurst Parish Council understands that the Conservation officer has advised on the proposed works.   There seems to be some doubt as to whether the submitted drawings correctly show the alignment of the southern edge of the porch and its attachment to the cottage.

18/02954 Rose Cottage North Road Goudhurst

Demolition of existing dwelling and erection of a replacement dwelling 

Recommend refusal

Goudhurst Parish Council does not believe that this proposal is acceptable for the following reasons:

• The proposed materials and finish are alien to the location;

• The height of the building (approx. 4.5m higher than the existing) is excessive 

• These two factors will damage both local and long views of the location;

Committee, if officers are minded to approve

18/03019 The Barn Flimwell House Farm Flimwell

Change of use to mixed use of micro-brewery including tap room

Recommend approval

Goudhurst Parish Council understands that the decision notice on 18/02026, not only restricts the sales/sampling activity (A4) at the location to certain hours on Thursday to Saturday, but also the brewing (B1).   There would appear to be no sound reason to curtail the B1 use in this way, which might threaten the viability of the unit.


291/18 Goudhurst Parish NDP.  Following Minute 254/18.  Mr Colin Willis briefed Council on progress.  Copies of the draft Plan have been distributed to all households in the parish so the  Regulation 14 six week consultation period is under way.  The NDP team will be meeting TWBC in December after which the consultation summary will go to the Examiner.      


292/18 The Clerk had attended the KALC Finance Annual Conference on 18 October 2018. 


293/18 It was resolved unanimously that the following payments be made:

D/D TWBC NNDR Balcombes Hill toilets £102.00

4502 AVB Farnfield Clerk’s Pay & expenses Oct 18 £2,566.96

4503 HM Revenue & Customs Clerk PAYE & NI Oct 18 £921.09

4504 Grounds Care & General Services Grounds maintenance St Mary’s Oct £1,204.80

4505 Capel Groundcare Chequer Field etc grounds maint Oct £1,187.86

4506 John Fermor Landscapes Christ Church & Quarry Pond maint Oct £190.00

4507 Pearsons Landscapes The Pond & Plain grounds maint Oct £111.60

4508 Microshade Business Consult Citrix Inv 11175 £61.14

4509 Hurstway Construction Public toilet block repairs £42.60

4510 Richard Greenaway St Mary’s west gate repairs £294.00

4511 G M Monk Ltd Toilet block emergency lights test £137.35

4512 Lights for Fun (pay EJR Bates) Christmas lights £105.00

4513 Quarry Centre Meeting Room hire £20.00

4514 Bennett Matthews GPC Pull Up banner £297.60

4515 Peter Watkins PROW maintenance £299.25

4516 Tenterden Twilight Toilet block cleaning Oct £585.16

4517 Bennett Matthews e-mail security and passwords £54.00

4518 Colin Willis Misc NDP expenses £137.80

4519 B&K Electrical Contractors Defibrillator installation Primary School £322.08

D/D Veolia Environmental Services Burial Grounds bin Sep 18 £144.54

D/D BT Office phone & Broadband VP34632770 £216.96

D/D Southern Electric Chequer Field pavilion energy £111.34

294/18 Receipts in October 2018      

Burial Board £2,070.00

Dynamos Juniors FC £850.00

Contributions to Defibrillator Fund £200.00

NatWest Business Reserve interest £12.14

CCLA dividend £10.54

295/18  Bank reconciliation.  Resolved to accept the Clerk’s explanation of the reconciliation of accounts to the end of October 2018 and noted that Council’s cash book balance was:

Nat West Current a/c £6,452.75

Nat West Business Reserve £67,502.94

CCLA Public Sector Deposit Fund £20.317.54



296/18 10 December 2018.    Jessel Room,  Goudhurst Parish Hall.  7.30 pm.  


  • Members noted that Mr Ivor Spencer of Cleverley & Spencer, Dover had visited the Goudhurst War Memorial to refresh the lettering of some of the names of the fallen.  Mr Spencer opted not to charge the Parish Council for his time.

The Meeting closed at 10.00  pm after Parish Chairman had thanked the several members of the public who had attended throughout and had made numerous helpful comments and suggestions.

Anthony Farnfield, Clerk

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next meeting of Council

Clerk to the Parish Council

Anthony Farnfield MBE

Copyright © 1999-2018 Goudhurst Parish Council