This website uses scripts. If you are seeing this message, you may have disabled Javascript, or are using an old, incompatible browser. We recommend you upgrade to Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or a newer version of Internet Explorer. Council News May – Goudhurst.co.uk
Goudhurst, Kent. A Wealden hill village

Council News May

GOUDHURST PARISH COUNCIL
Local Government for Goudhurst, Kilndown and Curtisden Green

Parish Council Logo
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL MEETING OF GOUDHURST PARISH COUNCIL

at The Jessel Room on Monday 08 May 2017 at 7.30 pm 

PRESENT:  Councillors Antony Harris (Chairman), Mrs Angela Broom, David Boniface, Chris Ditton, Alan Foster, Phil Kirkby, Barry Noakes, Mrs Susan Newsam, Guy Sutton and Stephen Wickham.

 ELECTION OF THE CHAIRMAN FOR 2017/18

033/17 It was resolved unanimously that Cllr Antony Harris be elected Chairman.  He signed a Declaration of Acceptance of Office which was witnessed by the Clerk.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE  

034/17 None were offered.

DISCLOSURES OF INTEREST

035/17 The Chairman reminded Members of their responsibility for any Declarations of Interest on Agenda items for this meeting and for any changes to their Register of Interest Declarations.

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING

036/17 It was resolved that the Minutes of the meeting held on 10 April 2017, copies of which had been previously distributed to Members, be signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

QUESTIONS FROM THE PRESS AND THE PUBLIC

037/17 No members of the Press or the Public attended this meeting

REPORTS FROM COUNTY AND BOROUGH COUNCILLORS

038/17 It was noted that County Cllr Seán Holden had retained his seat for the Kent County Council division of Cranbrook to which division Goudhurst Parish is now part.

APPOINTMENTS

039/17 It was resolved that in future this Council will appoint two Vice-Chairmen.  This will give, over the next few years, a number of Council Members the opportunity to widen their knowledge of local Council work.  For instance, they can accompany the Chairman at such meetings as the TWBC Parish Chairmen’s and the KALC Area Committee meetings.

Cllrs Alan Foster and Phil Kirkby were appointed as Vice-Chairmen for 2017-18.

040/17 Amenities Committee:  Cllr Chris Ditton to join.

Business & Communications Committee:  Cllr Chris Ditton to join.

Burial Board: Cllr Mrs Susan Newsam to be appointed Chairman.

Housing Committee:  Cllrs Mrs Angela Broom and Chris Ditton to join.

Police & Neighbourhood Watch Committee:  Cllr Antony Harris to join.

Planning Committee: Cllr Chris Ditton to join.

Policy and Staffing Committee:  Cllr Mrs Susan Newsam to join.

Youth Committee:  Cllr Mrs Angela Broom to join.

Hop Pickers Line Representatives:  Cllr Mrs Susan Newsam to replace Cllr Mrs Angela Broom.

Kilndown Recreation Hall, Kilndown Millennium Green and the Quarry Centre Trusts.  Cllr Chris Ditton to join Cllrs Guy Sutton and Mrs Susan Newsam

KALC Area Committee & TWBC Parish Chairmen’s Meetings: Cllr Alan Foster to join.

Neighbourhood Development Plan:  Cllr Guy Sutton to replace Cllr Alan Foster.

Church Room Play Area Committee.  This is no longer functioning and since Council is soon to take it over as part of the Glebe Field lease arrangement, the Youth Committee will take responsibility for it.

Honorary Footpaths Warden: Mrs Alison Scott is appointed.

NEIGHBOURHOOD DEVELOPMENT PLAN (NDP)

041/17 Mr Craig Boom, Administrator to the Goudhurst NDP, presented an update on progress and milestones.  There is to be a Public Meeting on 24 May and postcard invitations are going out to local residents and businesses inviting all to attend.  On 25 May a Questionnaire will be distributed to all residents; there will be a separate Questionnaire for businesses.  By completing the Questionnaire local people will be influencing the development of the Goudhurst Parish Neighbourhood Development Plan.

AMENITIES COMMITTEE

The Chairman of the Amenities Committee reported:

042/17 Balcombes Hill Car Park Order through Kent Legal Services (KLS).  Following Minute 010/17. It was resolved to agree expenditure of up to £3,500.00 to cover the cost of legal work, consultations, notices in the press and the supply of the notice to be displayed at the car park.  The Clerk will progress the project.

043/17 Goudhurst Pond De-Silting.  There is to be a further site meeting on 10 May.  Our previous certificates for the project have expired and Council needs to re-apply; this is not a major issue however.  As things stand at present the project will take place during the short window of opportunity after the end of the summer harvest 2017.  Chairman Amenities Committee will keep the Parish Hall Bookings Officer  informed so that those booking the Hall are aware.

044/17 Glebe Field Lease.  Minute 013/17.  It was noted that the Village Green Committee have made some comments to Council and these will be taken into account in our discussions with our legal adviser before a response is sent to Canterbury Diocese.

045/17 Chequer Field Legal Issues.  It was noted that Cllrs Antony Harris, Stephen Wickham, Phil Kirkby and the Clerk together with our legal adviser are meeting TWBC legal at the Town Hall on 18 May 2017.

046/17 Chequer Field – Dogs.  Minute 012/17.  For the avoidance of any doubt, Minute 012/17 was reconfirmed; No dogs are allowed on Chequer Field.  There is now a notice on the main gate into Chequer Field and on the pavilion wall.  The Clerk will write to the Dynamos management about this and ask that they remind opposition supporters of this requirement.

047/17 Goudhurst Pond Fountain.  This had failed during the winter months probably because the pond level was low and the pump had sucked up debris.  It was resolved to approve expenditure for the supply and installation of a replacement pump at a cost of £811.00 net of VAT

048/17 Balcombes Hill Public Toilets – Hanging Baskets.  It was noted that with the Amenities Committee encouragement Mrs Laura Napper of Tenterden Twilight Cleaning Co had installed some ‘hanging baskets’ at the toilets.  Those Members who have seen them say they improve the appearance of the utilitarian building.  Resolved: to reimburse Mrs Napper £187.87 being the cost of the baskets and the plants.

049/17 Capel Groundcare.  Following Minute 015/17.  It was noted that the Clerk has arranged for another contractor to cover on an interim basis the work that Mr Bamford is unable at present to fulfil.  There should be no extra expenditure for this arrangement.

050/17 Goudhurst Bus Shelter.  It was noted that the edge of the bus shelter roof has been damaged, probably by a bus.  A quote for repairs is awaited and is not likely to be a significant amount.

051/17 Goudhurst Fete 2017 – Car Parking.   It was noted that, due to the unavailability of the Henley Field at Tattlebury, arrangements have been made to use the southern end of the lower Glebe.  It was agreed that Chairman of the Amenities Committee and the Clerk will liaise with Mr Steve Bryant about some relatively minor earthworks to improve the access to the field and also for Mr Bryant to carry out some suitable mowing.

052/17 Kilndown Quarry Pond – Kilndown Fishing Club.   Following Minute 356/16.  It was resolved that Council approve Mr Graham Booth’s draft Fishing Club Rules together with a Risk Assessment and   the Agreement between Council and the Kilndown Fishing Club.   Cllr Chris Ditton will obtain a suitable lifebelt or similar to be installed at Quarry Pond.

053/17 Goudhurst in Bloom 2017.  Cllr Mrs Angela Broom reported that arrangements are well in hand.  She has launched an additional category this year; a Community Award to recognise those who continually work to help improve their neighbourhood and make Goudhurst Parish so beautiful.  She hopes to receive a good number of nominations.

HIGHWAYS & FOOTPATHS COMMITTEE

The Chairman of the Highways & Footpaths (H&F) Committee reported:

054/17 Footpath/Footway between the new houses development adjacent to the Green Cross and Goudhurst Village.  The H&F Committee would like the developer to contribute funding to enable a PROW/footway between the new development and the Village.  However, it was noted that it may be too late now to agree on a S106 type of Agreement.

055/17 Speed Limit reduction on the A262 in the Hope Mill area.  H&F Committee believes Kent Highways should consider a speed limit reduction on A262 Station Road in the Hope Mill area with the building of new houses there.  The Clerk will raise the matter with Kent Highways Area Manager.

056/17 Land adjacent to A262 Station Road to the east of Blue Coat Lane junction.  Minute 300/16.  It was noted that the landowner has responded positively, but with several questions to Council’s proposal to establish a footpath across the parcel of land which is largely a swale.

057/17 Hams Coaches parked in the laybys on the A21 near Flimwell.  This issue has been raised by a resident of Curtisden Green.  It is a matter for Highways England and the Clerk has been following up with them so that Council can better understand the legalities.  The Clerk will report further.

POLICE & NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH

The Chairman of the Police & Neighbourhood Watch Committee reported:

058/17 CCTV.  The Committee has been discussing various ways of paying for the proposed scheme. A proposal is awaited from an interested party and is expected before the end of May 2017.

PLANNING COMMITTEE   

It was resolved to note the following Decisions from TWBC published in April 2017:

059/17 DECISIONS

17/00393 1 Marlingate Cottages Bedgebury Road Goudhurst

Erection of an oak framed double garage

Granted permission

17/00403 Stonelea Rogers Rough Road Kilndown

Single storey rear extension

Granted permission

17/00499 Flimwell Radio Station Lady Oak Lane Flimwell

Installation of 2 No. 90cm transmission dishes and associated ODUs and 3g modems at 45m above ground level on the existing 54.3 high radio tower together with support brackets, feeder cables and ancillary development thereto

Approved

17/00528 Finchcocks Goudhurst

Conversion of the existing coach house and old dairy to form holiday let accommodation; Erection of extension to detached disabled WC building; reconfiguration of courtyard to north of main house

Granted permission

17/00529 Finchcocks Goudhurst

Listed Building Consent – Conversion of the existing coach house and old dairy to form holiday let accommodation; Erection of extension to detached disabled WC building; reconfiguration of courtyard to north of main house

Granted permission

17/00540 Stone Villa Church Road Kilndown

Two storey rear extension and internal alterations; Change of use and repairs to existing outbuilding; Change of use of land to residential

Granted permission

17/00599 Brandfold Cottage North Road Goudhurst

Two-storey side extension

Application withdrawn

17/00783 Zion Barn Ranters Lane Goudhurst

Enlargement of the entrance porch at the front of the property

Granted permission

17/00807 The Vicarage Back Lane Goudhurst

Tree in conservation area notification: T1 (Cherry) Fell, T2 (Holly) Remove dead stem,  T3 (Cherry) Fell, T4 (Holly) Remove split stems, T5 (Hazel) Coppice. T6 (Hazel) Coppice, T7 (Oak) Remove larger diameter dead wood, T8 (Yew) Remove split stems. T9 (Willow) Section cut ivy and reduce crown by up to approx. 2-3m in height and width, T10 (Rowan) Fell

No objection

17/01032 Pondside Cottage Church Road Kilndown

Non-material amendment in relation to 16/06515/FUL (Elevation change to north east corner of building) – Roof lantern behind proposed parapet to roof

Granted permission

060/17 APPLICATIONS considered by the Parish Council Planning Committee in April 2017 with representations approved by Council:

17/01012 Whites Bedgebury Road Goudhurst

New eyelet roof window in kitchen roof to match existing adjacent

Recommend approval

Subject to the views of the Conservation Officer, Goudhurst Parish Council is content that approval is granted

17/01013 Whites Bedgebury Road Goudhurst

Listed Building Consent – New eyelet roof window in kitchen roof to match existing adjacent

Recommend approval

Subject to the views of the Conservation Officer Goudhurst Parish Council is content that approval is granted

17/01202 Brocade Mile Lane Goudhurst

Erection of a detached garage building

Recommend approval

This scheme, which entails the removal of a number of somewhat dilapidated structures, will bring about an improvement to the appearance of the site in the curtilage of the listed host building.   The choice of materials is appropriate.

17/00929 Stream Farmhouse Summerhill Goudhurst

Part first floor part two storey rear/side extension

17/00930 Stream Farmhouse Summerhill Goudhurst

Listed Building Consent – Part first floor part two storey rear/side extension

Recommend approval

The additional elements would appear to be acceptable.   Subject to the views of the Conservation Officer, Goudhurst Parish Council is content that the application is approved, but would express some concern that the installation of the second staircase might compromise some elements of the historic structure of the house.

17/01010 Paines Farm House Ranters Lane Goudhurst

Retrospective – Two holiday let caravans with ancillary buildings and raised platform, together with retention of one holiday let caravan, ancillary building, raised platform and hard standing

Recommend refusal

Goudhurst Parish Council is concerned at the impact of this proposal on the AONB, particularly by the raised and covered decking, rather than the caravans themselves.

17/01063 Dunwurkin Rogers Rough Road Kilndown

Single storey rear extension

Recommend approval

This proposal will have very limited impact on the locality and the Conservation Area.

ANNUAL GOUDHURST and KILNDOWN PARISH MEETINGS

The Chairman reported:

061/17 It was noted that both meetings had been well attended with about 60 local electors attending each meeting.  At Kilndown the main topic was the future of the Globe & Rainbow Pub and Restaurant about which a significant number of local residents are concerned.

062/17 Future format of the Annual Parish Meetings.  It was noted that a Resolution is to be put to the Parish Council meeting on 12 June 2017.

COUNCILLOR VACANCIES.

063/17 Following Minute 024/17 .  It was noted that Council still has a vacancy in the Goudhurst Parish Ward.

064/17 Further vacancy in the Goudhurst Parish Ward.  It was noted that Cllr Sean Gilder had offered his resignation to the Chairman on 08 May 2017 for business and family commitment reasons.  Thus there are now 2 vacancies in this Parish Ward.  The Clerk will inform the Returning Officer and ensure the necessary legal notices are displayed.

GOUDHURST PARISH WEBSITE

065/17 It was resolved to appoint Mr Michael Bennett as Webmaster for the Goudhurst Parish Website for 2017/18.

ACCOUNTS 

066/17 It was resolved unanimously that the following payments be made:

4047 AVB Farnfield April 17 salary and expenses £2,532.51

4048HM Revenue & CustomsClerk PAYE & NI Apr 17£905.65

4049 Groundscare & General Services St Mary’s mowing contract £1,204.80

4050 Capel Groundcare Chequer Field etc grounds maint contract Apr 17 £628.74

4051 John Fermor Landscapes Christ Church lower area mowing £220.00

4052 Pearsons Landscapes The Plain and Pond maint Apr 17 £103.20

4053 Tenterden Twilight Cleaning Balcombes Hill public toilets contract Apr 17 £572.00

4054 Paul & Eileen Landon Goudhurst War Memorial garden maint £30.00

4055 Microshade Business Consultants Citrix Inv 9761 £56.70

4056 David Buckett Audit of Council’s Accounts 2016-17 £479.25

4057 SLCC Enterprises Training material £17.73

4058 HFF Construction Pond pump maintenance £973.20

4059 Wallgate Ltd Replacement handwash unit £3,174.33

4060 Viking Stationery £282.30

4061 Iden Signs Quarry Pond fishing signs £67.20

4062 TWBC NNDR toilet block 2016-17 £804.63

4063 Kent County Playing Fields Assoc Annual subscription £20.00

DDR Veolia Environmental Services Burial Grounds bin Apr 17 £140.40

067/17 Receipts in April 2017

Burial Board£950.00

NatWest interest£0.05

CCLA dividend£7.47

068/17  Bank reconciliationResolved to accept the Clerk’s explanation of the reconciliation of accounts to the

end of April 2017 and noted that Council’s cash book balance was:

Nat West Current a/c-£932.18

Nat West Business Reserve£230.51

CCLA Public Sector Deposit Fund£35,132.14

£34,430.47

AUDIT

069/17 Internal Auditor’s Written Report.  Following Minute 028.17.  Mr David Buckett’s written report following his visit on 07 April 2017 had been copied to Members prior to this meeting.  No major issues were raised.  However the Clerk is still pursuing Council’s options for ensuring that any funds held over £85,000 are covered by FSCS.  He has had some difficulties in opening an account at another High St bank other than NatWest which holds the bulk of Council’s funds.  The Clerk is keen to switch to internet banking to reduce the number of cheques that Council issues.

070/17 Annual Return year ended 31 March 2017:  Section 2 Accounting Statements. The Clerk presented the Accounting Statements for 2016/17 .  In answer to a question from a Member as to how Council could know that the figures presented were correct, the Clerk highlighted the Annual Internal Audit Report 2016/17 (page 5 of 6 of the Annual Return) that had been signed off by our Internal Auditor, Mr David Buckett.   It was resolved to approve the Accounting Statements 2016/17 as presented.

NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

071/17 12 June 2017.   Parish Council Meeting in the Jessel Room at 7.30 pm

ITEMS FOR INFORMATION

072/17-

The Meeting closed at  9.36 pm.

Anthony Farnfield, Clerk

These Minutes are subject to approval at the next meeting of Council

copyright © 1999-2017 Goudhurst Parish Council